12 Days Uganda Rwanda Combined Safari takes you to both Uganda and Rwanda, where you will enjoy gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park. While on a 12 Days Combined Trip, you will have gorilla trekking in Bwindi, chimpanzee tracking in Nyungwe National Park as well as a canopy walk, Kigali city tour, game viewing in Queen Elizabeth National Park, boat cruise, walking or horse-riding safari in Lake Mburo National Park, and a Kampala city tour. This 12 Days Combined Trip has you experiencing primate viewing as well as wildlife in both Uganda and Rwanda. The trip starts in Kigali and ends in Entebbe.
Tour Summary of 12 Days Uganda Rwanda Combined Safari
- Day 1: Arrival in Kigali International Airport, Kigali city tour
- Day 2: Transfer to Nyungwe Forest National Park, canopy walk
- Day 3: Chimpanzee tracking, transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
- Day 4: Gorilla trekking
- Day 5: Batwa Cultural experience, Community visit
- Day 6: Transfer to Queen Elizabeth National Park, evening game drive
- Day 7: Morning launch cruise, Night game drive
- Day 8: Leisure day
- Day 9: Transfer to Lake Mburo, evening walking/horse-riding game viewing safari
- Day 10: Morning game drive, afternoon boat cruise on Lake Mburo
- Day 11: Transfer to Kampala, Kampala city tour
- Day 12: Departure
Day 1: Arrival in Kigali International Airport, Kigali city tour
- Arrival: On this day 1 of your 12 Days Combined Trip, you will be picked up by our driver-guide upon your arrival in Kigali International Airport. The driver-guide will welcome you and give you a short brief of your 12 Days Combined Trip. Depending on your time of arrival, you will go for a Kigali city tour that opens your eyes to the history and cultural heritage of Rwanda. The Genocide memorial and the Rwanda national museum are some of the top sites that you will visit while on a Kigali city tour. After, you will head to your hotel for dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 2: Transfer to Nyungwe Forest National Park, canopy walk
- Transfer to Nyungwe & Canopy Walk: After a leisurely breakfast at the hotel, you will check-out and proceed for a transfer to Nyungwe Forest National Park. You will drive through the scenic and rolling hills of Rwanda, a country famous for the cleanliest city in the continent and home to a thousand hills. The drive will be memorable and worthwhile. You will reach in time for lunch. After your lunch, you will enjoy a canopy walk in Nyungwe Forest which gives you a bird’s eye of the forest. You might chance to see chimpanzees and other primates in the forest, along with various bird species. Carry binoculars, they come in handy. After, proceed to the lodge where you will have dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 3: Chimpanzee tracking, transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
- Chimpanzee tracking: Today, you will have a quick breakfast at the lodge and thereafter head to the park headquarters for a briefing by the park officials before you go for your chimpanzee tracking adventure in Nyungwe Forest National Park that has other primates especially monkey species that you should look out for. Finding the chimpanzees will not be so hard as they can be heard from far off. You will spend only one hour with them, watch them play, jump from one tree branch to another, feed, cuddle each other, and more that you may find them doing. The activity can take 2 hours or more depending on the terrain and the location of the chimpanzees.
- Transfer to Bwindi: After, you will proceed for a transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park in Uganda. You will have a lunch stop at a selected restaurant and thereafter proceed with your drive as you pass by communities with beautiful and very fast plantations of tea, bananas, rolling hills of Rwanda and the locals. You will to Uganda via the Cyanika or Katuna border points. Once in Bwindi forest, proceed to your lodge, check-in, and relax as you await dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 4: Gorilla trekking
- Gorilla trekking: Your 4th day of your 12 Days Combined trip has you having breakfast at the lodge and thereafter transferring to the park headquarters for a briefing before going for your Bwindi forest gorilla trekking adventure in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park. After the brief, you will have rules and guidelines given to you that you ought to adhere to while gorilla trekking in Bwindi. After being allocated a gorilla family to trek, you will embark on the search of the gentle apes being guided by a ranger. Once you encounter the gorillas, take time studying them as they groom each other, feed, play or whatever else you find them doing. If lucky, a juvenile gorilla may come up-close to examine you, just to quench their curious nature. After an hour, trek back to the park headquarters making a lunch stop to eat your packed lunch. You will be given a gorilla certificate to show that you trekked gorillas in Bwindi. Your driver-guide will be waiting for you to transfer back to the lodge where you will have the rest of the afternoon to yourself to regain your strength after the gorilla trek. Dinner and overnight at the lodge.
Day 5: Batwa Cultural experience, Community visit
- Batwa Cultural experience: Today, have breakfast at the lodge and thereafter go for a Batwa cultural experience where you will be taken back to the stone age era that the Batwa people up until recently still lived in. Batwa will share how they still lived in ancient time by demonstrating it. They will share their wild honey collecting skills, hunting skills, how they cooked, made fire with just sticks, used forest plants as medicines and much more.
- Community visit: After, you will return to the lodge for a lunch and thereafter proceed for a community visit. This community visit will enlighten you about the locals that stay in the vicinity of the park. You may take part in any of the activities they are doing say cooking, tilling the land, making handicrafts, or even visit a community school. Buying handicrafts for souvenirs made by the local women is welcome. Return to the lodge for dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 6: Transfer to Queen Elizabeth National Park, evening game drive
- Transfer to Queen: On your 6th day of the 12 Days Combined Trip, you will wake up to an early breakfast at the lodge and thereafter proceed to check-out of the lodge and transfer to Queen Elizabeth National Park. You will arrive in via the Ishasha sector that is famous for the tree-climbing lions. You will see some of these tree-climbing lions, along with other wildlife. Enjoy a game viewing opportunity as you drive to your accommodation for lunch. Spend the rest of the afternoon resting at the lodge and have an evening game drive later on. The game drive will reward you with wild game say elephants, buffaloes, topis, various antelopes, among others. Return to the lodge for dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 7: Morning launch cruise, Night game drive
- Morning launch cruise: Enjoy your sumptuous breakfast at the lodge before you embark on a morning launch cruise on Kazinga channel. The launch cruise will reward you with water animals like crocodiles, hippos and others as well as buffaloes, elephants, antelopes among others as they come for a morning drink. Various bird species can also be spotted while on a launch cruise. After, return to the lodge and enjoy a game drive as you are at it. Have lunch and spend the afternoon resting.
- Night game drive: Later, you will go for a night game drive in Queen Elizabeth National Park where you will see much nocturnal wildlife like lions, leopards, jackals, hyenas, and others as they roam in the night to catch their sleeping prey. You will have armed park rangers with you while on a night game drive. Return to the lodge thereafter for dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 8: Leisure day
- Leisure day: On this day 8 of your 12 Days Combined trip, you will have the day to yourself completely. You may relax with a good book or music on your balcony watching far off into the wild of this vast savannah of Queen Elizabeth National Park. Breath in the fresh air of the park all day long, and memorize the park’s beauty. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner will all be at the lodge.
Day 9: Transfer to Lake Mburo, evening walking/horse-riding game viewing safari
- Transfer to Lake Mburo: Today, you will have breakfast at the lodge and then proceed for a transfer to Lake Mburo National Park. The drive is 3-4 hours, and you will reach just in time for lunch at your lodge in Lake Mburo National Park. Later, you will have an evening walking safari or horse–riding safari in the savannah Plaines of the park. You will chase after a dazzle of zebras, topis, kobs, and other park animals. The walking safari brings you up-close to the wild animals. Return to the lodge for dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 10: Morning game drive, afternoon
- Morning game drive: After an early cup of tea or coffee, go out for an early morning game drive that will reward you with early rising wildlife and if lucky, you might catch a glimpse of a porcupine, civet, genet cat, spotted hyenas among so many other nocturnal animals.
- Afternoon boat cruise: Return to the lodge and after having your lunch, head out for an afternoon boat cruise on Lake Mburo National Park. this is another great way to see various water animals and wildlife coming for an afternoon drink. Lake Mburo is a birder’s haven, be sure to spot many if you carry along your binoculars.
Day 11: Transfer to Kampala, Kampala city tour
- Transfer to Kampala: Today, you will be leaving Lake Mburo National Park for a transfer to Kampala. This will be after you have enjoyed your mouth-watering breakfast at the lodge. The drive to Kampala is approximately 4 hours. You will reach in the early afternoon hours. After lunch, you will have a Kampala city tour that will have you experiencing this bustling city. You will visit among others, the Nakasero market, the Independence monument, the Uganda museum, Kabaka’s palace as well as Amin’s torture chambers. After, you will head to your hotel of stay, check-in and have dinner and overnight.
Day 12: Departure
- Departure: Today marks the end of your 12 Days Uganda Rwanda Combined Safari. You will wake up to a sumptuous breakfast and depending on your flight time, you will be transferred to the airport for your outbound flight.
End of 12 Days Uganda Rwanda Combined Safari
- Airport pickup and drop-off
- Transportation during the safari in a 4WD safari vehicle fit for game viewing and photography
- Gorilla permit
- Chimpanzee permit
- All park entrance fees and activities mentioned in the itinerary
- Full-board accommodation
- Services of a professional English speaking driver-guide
- Bottled drinking water in the safari vehicle
- Air tickets
- Extra activities not mentioned in the itinerary
- Personal expenses like laundry, telephone, etc.
- Tips and souvenirs