4 Days Bwindi Double Gorilla Trekking
4 Days Bwindi Double Gorilla Trekking is yet another safari that will overwhelm the traveler as they get to trek the gorillas twice. The 4 Days Bwindi Double Gorilla Trekking is one of the tourists’ most preferred Uganda safari packages as it gives them more time to visit more than one gorilla family and more gorilla sectors in the thick forested Bwindi impenetrable national park and its wonderful mysteries. Bwindi impenetrable national park is a UNESCO world heritage site simply because of its unique ecological system situated in south western Uganda in Kanungu District. The park and its forest lie on the edge of Albertine Rift in the western arm of the East African rift valley.
Bwindi impenetrable national park is ranked to be one of the most visited national parks in East Africa predominately because it is one of the protected areas in African to shelter the endangered mountain gorillas and the only one harboring the largest population of these beautiful primates.
Highlights of the safari
- Gorilla trekking in two gorilla families each day
- Village walks (optional)
- Cultural Batwa encounter (optional)
- Visiting the equator
Detailed itinerary for 4 Days Bwindi Double Gorilla Trekking
On this safari you trek two different sectors (Buhoma and Ruhija)
DAY 1: Arrival and Transfer to Bwindi National Park
- Arrival: One the first day of the 4 Days Bwindi Double Gorilla Trekking, after breakfast you will be picked up by your safari driver from your accommodation residence either with in Kampala or Entebbe. Your safari driver will brief you about the day’s activity then you will embark on a 473.9 kilometers journey of approximately 8 – 9 hours to Bwindi impenetrable national park via Kampala-Kabale-Mbarara road. On your way, you can make the first stopover at the equator line in Kayabwe where you take pictures and also buy monuments at the craft shops. Another stopover is made in Mbarara for lunch then drive to kanungu and connect to the park. When you reach the park you will check-in into your lodges, relax, take dinner and sleep as you prepare for trekking the next day.
Accommodation is booked according to the gorilla sector you are to trek which is indicated on your trekking permit.
Accommodation in buhoma sector
Luxury: buhoma lodge
Mid-range: buhoma haven
Budget: buhoma community camp
Meal Plan: Half Board
DAY 2: Gorilla Trekking in Buhoma and Transfer t0 Ruhija
- Gorilla Trekking in Buhoma: On the second day of the 4 Days Bwindi Double Gorilla Trekking, you will wake up so early and fresh up and take your breakfast. At exactly 7:00 am in the morning you gather at the briefing spot were instructions, rules and regulations are read to you by the guide (this is done so that when you are in the forest you act accordingly to avoid any harm and accident) and you are grouped into 8 people. After the briefing, you trek into the forest and when you find a gorilla family you are allowed to spend only one hour with the gorillas.
- Transfer to Ruhija: After the trekking, you will transfer to another sector i.e. Ruhija Sector. After transferring you will check-in into your lodges as you prepare for another trekking.
Accommodation in Ruhija sector
- Luxury: Mahogany springs lodge
- Mid-range: bakiga lodge
- Budget: broadbill forest camp
- Meal Plan: Full Board
DAY 3: Gorilla Trekking in Ruhija
- Gorilla Trekking in Ruhija: On day 3 of the 4 Days Bwindi Double Gorilla Trekking, you wake up early and take your breakfast, you gather for briefing at the briefing spot where rules and regulations are read to you by the rangers. You will be grouped into groups of 8 members. After briefing you trek into the forests in search for gorilla family and when you spot them you spend only one hour with them (it is much unpredicted when it comes to what time you will come back form the trek so you go with your packed lunch). You will go back to your lodges after trekking and relax as you wait for your dinner. You can participate in nature walks or Batwa culture encounters which is optional.
Meal Plan: Full Board
DAY 4: Transfer to Kampala and Departure
On day 4, of the 4 Days Bwindi forest Double Gorilla Trekking, you will have breakfast and later you transfer back to Kampala, on your way you make a first stopover in Mbarara for lunch and if you still have time you can make another stopover at the equator for pictures.
What to bring for the gorilla trekking safari (Gorilla Trekking Essentials)
- Hiking boots
- Garden gloves
- Rain jacket
- Long sleeved shirts/ blouse
- Cameras and extra batteries
- Pair of binoculars
- Hat and sunglasses
- Porter and a hiking stick